A lot of the stuff I post here is of limited interest to a limited number of people, perhaps no more so than this tape.
This is a 90-minute tape of station IDs, PSAs, carts, and random other nonsense from the Instant Replay system at WMWC, the college station of
Mary Washington College the University of Mary Washington. I DJed at the station every semester I was in school there, from 1994 through 1998. I was station manager for a year and probably more involved with the station than anyone else during those four years. Even though our listenership was about three (not three hundred or three thousand… just three), it was still one of the best experiences I had during college.
The content from this tape comes from 1995(-ish) to 2000. This is definitely not a complete collection of carts from those years, but it’s a start. At some point, I intend to break these into separate files, dig up older stuff, and then post it all to wmwc.org. Someday.
Voices on here include me (way too much me), Chandra DasGupta, Matt Wright, Sally Bean, Danielle Richardson, Natalie Illum, Brady Wassom, Olivia Synnott, Matt Montgomery, Dave Wrubel, Pastor Daphne Burt, Matt Dawson, Brian Petrack (sp?), and a few others I couldn’t identify.
The track listing for this tape is very long, so I’ve put it after the jump, with some commentary.
Tracks with an * feature me.
- * Sniff
A 1-second clip of me sniffing. Just because.
- Ecology Club
- * Diggin’ in the Crates promo (2000)
- WMWC “Underground” station ID (2000)
- * Pietasters station ID
- * Algerian Dwarf station ID (1996)
This clip came from one of the most bizarre news items I’ve ever heard about. Definitely a classic. Read by Dave Wrubel.
- Shudder to Think station ID
- * Sting “No Sun” station ID
- * Hip-Hop station ID
- * Overnight programming #1 (jazz) (1997)
This series came from shortly after we got the Instant Replay system. We programmed it to air specialty shows and other music when we didn’t have DJs in the station. This series of carts aired intermittently throughout the night.
- * Overnight programming #2 (blues) (1997)
- * Overnight programming #3 (hip-hop) (1997)
- * Overnight programming #4 (reggae) (1997)
- * Overnight programming #5 (international) (1997)
- * Overnight programming #6 (classical) (1997)
- * Summer programming – NO DJs! (1997)
- * Rebroadcast notice: A Closer Look ’97 (ebonics) (1997)
- * Rebroadcast notice: Trancelike State (orig. Feb 20/27, 1997) (1997)
- * Rebroadcast notice: Live at the Station (#1, orig. fall 1996, Rob Thormeyer and Pat Broom) (1997)
- * Rebroadcast notice: Live at the Station (#2, orig. fall 1996, Keith Apgar) (1997)
- * Rebroadcast notice: Live at the Station (#3, orig. Nov. 17, 1996, Tim McDonald) (1997)
- * Rebroadcast notice: Live at the Station (#4, orig. Nov. 24, 1996, Now Defunct Dead Squirrels) (1997)
- Rusted Root @ MWC ad (1998)
- * Disclaimer – Before
- * Disclaimer – After
- * Rebroadcast notice: general
- Steve Watkins award ad
- * Jammin Dance and DJ Exhibition (1997)
Interesting enough: I didn’t even meet DJ Ragz until three years later, but now we’re friends and work together on music.
- * Philadelphia FIRST convention ad (1997)
- Indigo Girls station ID (1997)
- James Taylor station ID
- Barron’s Best Buy – MWC ad (1998) (lots of laughing)
- Fredericksburg AIDS Walk PSA (1997)
- LE Smoot book sale ad (1997) (ends with laughing)
- Breast cancer PSA (pre-recorded ad council)
- Black History Month schedule (1998)
- Black History Month schedule pt. 2 (1998)
- News – “just messing around here” (3/3/1999)
- Jazz Til Midnight promo (1997)
- Danielle station ID
- RIGHT NOW station ID (1995 or 1996)
Features former station manager (1996-1997) Brady Wassom.
- * Monty Carlo Night ad
- Mortar Board Senior of the Semester ad
- * Fredericksburg Singers ad (1997)
- Leon Golub symposium ad #1, take 1 (1998)
- Leon Golub symposium ad #1, take 2 (1998)
- * Indigo Girls show ad #1 (entirely too upbeat) (1997)
- * Indigo Girls show ad #2 (more mellow) (1997)
- Leon Golub symposium ad #2, take 1 (1998)
- Leon Golub symposium ad #2, take 2 (1998)
- * MWC Jazz Ensemble ad (1997)
- * Run-DMC show ad (1997)
- Birth control clinic ad
- Emmet Swimming station ID
- Hazel Virtue station ID
- Quick station ID
- * Playing with echo station ID
This was originally an 8-track cart and had a sticker on it that warned, “Says ‘hell’ if you care.”
- Archers of Loaf station ID
- * Remember Alice station ID (edited from 540 AM)
Originally recorded when we were 540 AM, I modified this one in a very obvious way. I still have the t-shirt that Remember Alice sent along with the station ID tape.
- * 2nd Annual Holiday On the Edge ad (1997)
I got the name of my own show wrong.
- CCC Lent service ad (1998)
- Not By Chance CCC release party ad (1997)
- CCC ad
- October/November 1998 events ad (1998)
- Run-DMC station ID (1997)
I love this station ID because I think DMC got the name of our station wrong (sounds like “WNWC,” doesn’t it?)
- CCC meal ad
- * Alcohol peer-educators PSA (1997)
Shoot some hoop!
- Join the Crowd PSA
- * Roofies PSA (1997)
I’m told this became somewhat of a classic in the years following my graduation. I’m so proud to have played the female in this ad so convincingly (the male being played by Sally Bean). There’s nothing like taking a serious subject and mocking it.
- * Hip-hop station ID (1997)
- Girlfriend station ID
Girlfriend was a band we interviewed at the station. The woman in the band was Jon Cryer’s sister.
- Blue Yard Garden station ID
- February/March 1998 events (1998) (blooper reel material)
- Ball in the House show ad (1999)
- Iodine station ID
- Whirling Dervishes station ID
- Unknown (mic level was way too low)
- February/March 1998 events (1998)
- Kristin Page on Jeopardy ad
- Aubade ad (blooper)
- Faculty art exhibition ad
- Luminaria @ Maryes Heights ad
- Aubade ad
- February/March 1998 events (different reader) (1998)
- Fredericksburg Girl Scouts Child Abuse Preventation Blue Ribbon Campaign PSA (1998)
- CCC dance party ad (1998)
- News (October 25, 1999)
- Jepson Science Center ribbon-cutting ceremony ad (1998)
- CCC Holy Week ad (1998)
- Spring Heeled Jack station ID
- “Conflicting Perspectives on the Perfect Baby” lecture ad
- News (October 26, 1999)
- James Farmer Multicultural Center call for art
- * Hip-Hop Wednesday ad (1998)
An ad for my final show before graduation.
- Outstanding Senior of the Week: Kristin M…?, April 20-25 (1998)
- Girls Against Boys show ad (1999)
- Screwy blooper
- What happened to my heroin?
- Class Council Fall Formal 1999 ad (1999)
- News: April 12, 2000 (2000)
- Jimmy Fallon show ad (2000)
- Circle K October 1999 events (1999)
- Circle K ad (great misprounced name here)
- News (December 1999)
- Birth control clinic ad
- Lots of great music, all the time station ID
- Annual employment fair (1999)
- Events (German club, Wyclef, etc.) (1999)
- * It’s a mess in here! profane station ID (2000)
I recorded this one when showing Matt Wright how to use the Instant Replay.
- * Hey… (2000)
No clue why I kept this one on there, but it cracks me up every time.
- Canned food drive ad
- * Returning for the fall semester station ID (2000)
- * Fell asleep station ID (2000)
- * WMWC web archive ad (2000)
- * Hey Bucky station ID
- * Sting/Brady “Brady has no gaps” (1995)
- * “Let’s get ready to rumble” Ned Flanders station ID (1995)
Features Rob Thormeyer and Chevvone Bray.
- Montgomery Burns and Smithers station ID (1995)
Rob and Chevvone again.
- * John Tesh is underrated station ID (1995)
- Jazz Til Midnight promo
- * Riot on Spaghetti Drive station ID (1995)
- * Off-the-air (1996)
- * WMWC web site promo (1996)
The COOLEST site on the innanet…
- * Giveaway station ID
- * Hula for me, baby giveaway station ID
- * Voice mail station ID (1995)
I think Scott Wise had something to do with this.
- Mother Earth’s Righteous Groove Ensemble station ID
- Ska Fest show ad
- * German Club ad
Offending Germans everywhere with my attempts.
- News: April 29, 1997 (1997)